Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Expat Assignment Q&A

I thought it would be fun if I put together some of the most frequently asked questions and answers I have received since finding out about the expat opportunity in China.  I will not go into detail about my job- I like to keep that private on my blog, but I hope to share as much other stuff as I can.


When did I find out about the possibility of moving to China?
I found out about the potential opportunity on November 6th.  Then I had several rounds of interviews the following weeks and officially got word that the job was mine the week before Thanksgiving.

How did I tell my husband?
Well, don't get me wrong- I probably spent the last year or so warming him up to the idea of an expat assignment so it didn't come as a complete shocker.  But anyways, I found out fairly early in the morning (think around ~6am) and I came downstairs still in my pajamas, stated 'how do you feel about moving to China?' and showed him an email to read.

Is he excited?
Yes, he is super excited.  We are both looking at this as a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Did we say 'yes' right away?
No, we didn't give our 'for sure' yes until we got back from our pre-assignment trip (officially we said yes, January 5th).

Have we told the girls?
Yes, we have told the girls.  At first, they didn't get it at all.  Everly's reaction was one of my favorites.  Shortly after we told them, we went to Home Depot one night to pick out paint samples.  When we left, Everly asked 'where are we going?'.  I told her we were going home.  She responded with, 'NO! me want to go to China!'.  Wes and I were cracking up :).  Honestly though, moving to Dallas, moving to China- they don't really understand the difference at their ages.

What do our parent's think?
That we are crazy.  Kidding, kidding kind of.  My dad thinks it is a great opportunity and overall, my mom and mother-in-law are pretty sad that we are moving away.

Do we know where we are going to live in China?
Yes, we do!  We were told beforehand to not get our hearts set on a house because the lease couldn't be finalized until we got our official immigration; however, we were told incorrectly and were able to secure our house (more house details to come).

What are we doing with our house?
We are going to rent it.  I just cannot imagine not dreaming of coming home to 'our home' while we are far far away.  I think it will be good for our morale.

How will we get around? Will we drive ourselves?
We will have a car and driver to drive us around (to work, grocery store, airport, etc).  Although, we are looking into getting a golf cart/scooter to get around our neighborhood.  There are 8 neighborhoods, a bank and grocery store within the international expat community so it is fairly good size.

Will the girls go to school in China?
Yes, they will!  It is an international school where English is spoken as the primary language.  Emma will start right away, but Everly will have to wait until the fall after she turns 3.  We are very excited about the school and the opportunity this will provide the girls.  They will study Mandarin an hour a day and we are wishful that they will become fluent.

Is there a Starbucks in China?
Ok, I haven't really been asked this question, but it was one of the first questions that I had before my first trip to China.  Yes, there is a Starbucks.  No, it doesn't taste just like here.  No, there is no White Chocolate Mocha which is mine and my husband's favorite drink.

Are we going to travel while we are in China?
Most definitely, YES.  We are both so excited about the places that we will get to see!! We already have our sights set on Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan and Japan just to name a few!

How frequently will we come home?
We honestly have no clue.  In my opinion, this will all depend on how well the girls do on the long flights.  If I had to guess, I would say once a year.

The question my grandfather Bobbob has gotten the most frequently, 'Are we missionaries?'
No, we are not missionaries.

When do we leave?
We wish we knew ;).  Our original departure date was February 24th before we understood the immigration calendar.  We have our sights set on ~ March 12th, but we don't know for sure at this point.

What are we taking with us?
We are still trying to figure all of that out, but we know we will take clothes (I am already trying to buy up a few sizes for the girls), over-the-counter medicine, our Christmas decorations, Everly's crib and a few other nice to have items.  All of our furniture will go to storage.

What are we the most nervous about?
On a personal level, it is the language barrier and the air quality.

If I left something off that you have been wondering about, feel free to leave a comment and I will answer as appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering our questions! I was planning to go to China with my family but the trip fell through, but I was able to learn mandarin from the Pimsleur audio tapes. They must work fairly well because when I spoke to one of my students from China, she understood me. I listened to and from work (15 minute drive). They also have electronic translators but they are kind of expensive. Question - Is the assignment only for 2 years or will there be an option to stay longer if you'd like? Great post - you really do make my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :). We could possibly stay for three years, but I do not imagine it would be longer than that.

      Delete