Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Calm Before The Storm

Last Wednesday, July 31st, was our first night at home as a family of four.  Bedtime routines went ridiculously well.  Emma was exhausted from the prior days activities- I mean getting a new sister is all kinds of hard work when you are 17 months old.  She climbed up in Wes's lap, drank her bottle and went right to sleep.  I transferred her to her crib upstairs and she continued sleeping.  I came down and Everly was in her pack n play sleeping.  I went into the kitchen where Wes was and I told him, "I feel like this is the calm before the storm".

And it was.

The next two hours were glorious.  Wes and I ate bagels that Austin had brought us, watched TV and reminisced about the days activities.  Wes moved the pack n play upstairs to our room just in case she didn't want to sleep in her crib. I woke her up, fed her and transferred her to her crib.  She slept for about 30 minutes and then the squawking began.  I rushed to go feed her so that Emma wouldn't wake up.  This continued for the next four hours.  FOUR hours- I ran back in forth from our room to her room.  Everly didn't seem to remember that her stomach is only as big as a dime so she spit up my milk for four hours straight!

Then, at 3am, what I was afraid would happen, happened.  Emma woke up crying.  Wes goes to get Emma. He cant get her to go back to sleep in her crib so he brings her to our bed.  Everly and I move downstairs for the night.  The crying and squawking continue for the next hour.  Wes said Emma was really upset that I wasn't in bed.  Finally, around 4:30 we all make it back to sleep until 7 (Wes and Emma upstairs, Everly and me downstairs).  Those two and half hours of sleep were glorious :).

Since the first night at home, sleep has gotten a little better each day.  Emma finally slept through the night last night.  Everly is still in our room so that I can rush to nurse her when she wakes up crying.  It is in these moments of chaos that I try to reflect on how incredibly blessed we are to have two happy, healthy baby girls.  I mean isn't she precious?


And try to remember that we will sleep again- even if it takes us a year to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment