Thursday, September 6, 2018

London, Part Two

It has been so long since I have last blogged (the last two months have been seriously crazy - starting in mid-July - my mom came (we took two weekend trips!), then we hosted Everly's birthday party the following weekend, a work bar-b-que the weekend after that, before I flew to the US for a work trip that spanned two weekends, followed last, but not least by a weekend road trip in China that involved 20 kiddos!). Oh, and the girls started school and we tried to squeeze in some play dates and time at the swimming pool before the last days of summer ended. So much good, fun stuff that my go-go-go heart loves, but this mama needs a weekend at home doing nothing (except maybe unpacking ;)). Anyways, all that to say, I am not sure that you connected the dots (probably because I didn't mention it), but we went to London in conjunction with our family vacation to Paris in June. 

Tower of London. We didn't go in here, but it was stunning from the outside. The Queens jewels are kept here (or so I hear?) so maybe we will go in once the girls are a little older.




The Tower Bridge. Did anyone else think this was called the London bridge? Because I sure did... Nope, it is named the London Bridge and is so fun to see in person!  We walked across it, bought some hot nuts (reminded me of New York) and let the girls run around on a lawn with the most fabulous views.













Then we found a splash pad with that same incredible view :).







Sky Garden. We trekked all over London, once again, to find a McDonalds for our chicken nugget loving girl (it is so hard to travel with a picky eater sometimes!) before making our way to our 3pm reservation at Sky Garden (free to go up as long as you make a reservation in advance). The views are incredible - we loved seeing the city from high up!








It felt a little bit like Singapore's Garden's by the Bay on the inside.


We introduced the girls to the game "telephone" and had a blast playing a few rounds while Wes and I split a beer.



Kensington Gardens. I heard awesome things about the Princess Diana Memorial playground at Kensington Gardens so we made our way over there and it did not disappoint. Also, the ice cream was phenomenal - the best we had! The girls played for hours and hours and we eventually had to drag them out to go eat dinner.





Ev's made it all the way to the top!


A random red phone booth picture - completely out of order ;).


Westminster Abbey. We had bought tickets ahead of time to go inside on Saturday morning (definitely pre-purchase your tickets - there is always a line) and we are so glad we did. It was stunning inside. Now, I wouldn't say the girls loved it, but we definitely loved it! The Lady Chapel was like nothing I had ever seen before - just stunning. There are no pictures allowed on the inside, but I did get just one snap of Emma lighting a candle for Nonni (it was on our way out) not in the main part of the church.




St. James Park. After Westminster Abbey, we walked over to St. James Park (right outside of Buckingham Palace) to let the girls run off some energy because we had big afternoon plans. The girls love them some parks - we saw several during our four days in London!







The Lion King. I am not sure I have ever told you this story - for our one year anniversary, we went to New York City for vacation and we thought about getting tickets to see the Lion King. At $250 a ticket, we just couldn't afford it at that time so we went to see Spider Man instead (also good!). We were pumped when a friend told us that Lion King was in London - we all enjoyed it so much!! It was so fun to take the girls to a theatre (we just can't do those things in China - it is all in Chinese) and we look forward to doing more of these kinds of experiences in the future!



So Much Charm. Gosh, we adored the feel of the city. The red telephone booths got us every time. The flowers hanging every direction you looked. The charm. London reeled us in - we fell in love quickly. Easy to see why, right?





London Transport Museum. I heard great things about this museum - so on our last day, we decided to check it out. They had a map for the girls to work on plus so much interaction plus a play place - the girls were in heaven.









Shake Shack. Worth mentioning - London has my favorite hamburger chain. The apartment that Wes chose for us was a 2 minute walk away from Shake Shack - we may or may not have eaten here four times (it is hard to find a good hamburger in Chengdu!).


We absolutely adored our time in London (I think we got to see so much in just four, short days!) - we will definitely be back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment