Everyone stops and stares at girls which is much more alarming than I thought it would be. They start by gasping when they see them, which usually leads to calling their friends over to stop, stare and point and occasionally ends with pictures of the girls or even touching their hair. The girls don't seem to be bothered by it too much- Everly is just her typical easygoing, oblivious self, but Emma finally did say 'I don't want people looking at me anymore'. When I see people taking pictures, I always try to jump in and say 'no pictures' and swinging my arm out wildly so they get the idea :). I am just wondering if I will ever get used to this.
We have already eaten at McDonald's and it was delicious. We were driving by a McDonald's closer to
where our house (~20 minutes away) is and our relocation consultant told us
that it had closed down; Emma quickly piped in, 'oh well, guess we will just
have to go to the one at the boat.'. She
refers to the Chengdu Global Center as the boat which I think is hilarious and
endearing at the same time.
I had my first meltdown.
Ok, maybe it was my second meltdown because I had one on the plane too
;). When we arrived at our temporary living
location, it was late at night and we were tired so we went to bed, but the
girls were up just a couple of hours later.
This is when we noticed that they had only given us three bottles of
water at our hotel. Like 10 inch bottles
of water. I headed down to the front
desk to ask for more bottles and they said that it wasn't in my contract. That was the worst thing they could have said
to me, it brought me to tears, the girls were concerned to see their mommy
crying. A few stern emails later, we
were greeted by some upper level management of our hotel and promptly had a
huge bottle of water (those kind on the stands) delivered to our room :).
Our first outing by ourselves was to Starbucks- it is
attached to our building, but you do have to walk outside to get there. The girls were acting absolutely adorable on
our walk there, garnering lots of attention- from me included :). We are already missing our favorite Starbucks
drink- a White Chocolate Mocha- they just don't have those here.
One morning, we ate breakfast at our hotels and had spicy
dumplings for breakfast. I am not sure I
will ever get over that what we would consider traditional lunch or dinner food
bleeds over into breakfast food.
Our sleeping schedule has been the worst part of adjusting
to life in China. The girls sleep
schedules were so messed up- they would fall asleep at 3 in the afternoon and
wake up at 1 in the morning and be ready for a nap at 7 or 8am. This wouldn’t have been so terrible, if we didn’t
have things that we needed to get done (visit the house for a walkthrough,
grocery shop, set up a bank account, buy small appliances, etc.) and people
that were taking us to do all of these things.
Slowly, but surely we are coming out of the fog. My first day at work was Tuesday and Wes
worked really hard to get the girls a proper nap and we all had a good night's
sleep last night as a result. We know
that we will get there, but this has been much harder than I imagined.
We found bread at IKEA of all places and we have already
purchased five loaves (it only comes in packages with 8 slices). It is something that we told would be hard to
come by so we were over the moon excited that we found bread for the girls to
have their beloved peanut butter and jelly or sometimes just jelly sandwiches
:). We also found ice cream ;), Emma was taking a nap on my back so Ev's was the only participant this time.
The girls love our house and they affectionately refer to
it as a castle. We have been by a couple
of times, but we don’t move in until Sunday and I can't wait to show you some
pictures!!
We saw the sun three times!!! And it was glorious every
single time. It is true that sunshine
improves your mood and make everything around you seem better.
Our first holiday
abroad (Easter) was anti-climactic to say the least. I didn’t want to upset the girls that the
Easter bunny wasn't coming and that there wouldn’t be an egg hunt (we are still
living in a hotel) so we didn't even mention it. If you have been reading for long, you know
that birthdays and holidays are part of my love language. I love making the holidays special for the
girls so I was a bit torn up inside that we did nothing. I know this is just temporary and that even
though our holidays will look a little different the next couple of years, we
will still be able to make them special. P.s. this picture is from our church Easter egg hunt that because of our delay we were lucky enough to participate in :).We are lucky to have an indoor play place (where we have had numerous tea parties) and a swimming pool in our temporary living facility- in all pools over here you have to wear swim caps. It was definitely one of our first purchases so we could get the girls back in the swimming pool. Added bonus, I feel like they look ridiculously cute in their swim caps :).
That is it so far- for the most part, we are settling in nicely and recognize that this will be a process and will not happen overnight.









Those swim caps!!! So cute. Love seeing a post from you and pics. Also, that's funny Emma calls that place the boat.
ReplyDeleteI know, I can't believe how cute they are- I thought I would hate swim caps :).
DeleteSounds like you are finding your favorites - Starbucks, IKEA bread and swimming pools - you just need a few days to get back in the groove and to get some real sleep. Sorry you had a breakdown (I would blame it on jet lag), but you are much stronger and braver than I would have ever been. So excited to see your house and more adventures. Maybe if the girls wore their swim caps or a hat out they wouldn't get as much attention (but I think it is partly the adorable clothes they wear). Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Paige- your comments always makes me smile!
DeleteI can't believe everyone stops and stares at the girls, I never would have thought! Can't wait to see the castle ;) The cultural differences are so funny - like the swim caps. I loved hearing about it all!
ReplyDeleteYep - it has been crazy!!
DeleteI love hearing about all this! The swim caps are super cute. This is just your chance to feel famous with paparazzi. :)
ReplyDeletehahaha- the paparazzi comment made me lol :).
DeleteThis post was too funny :) I laughed out loud about the water and stern emails. Too funny. We miss you! Also I would love to see you waiving your arms yelling no pictures.
ReplyDeleteMaybe my tears helped too? And me telling them I would cancel and move to a hotel :).
DeleteThe above comment was Adrienne
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great Lauren! Hang in there. Yeah people can be bad about staring and personal bubble...different ideas of what's socially acceptable. The next time the paparazzi gets out of hand, just say Bù kě yī ("boo" like the ghost "cu" like the word cut and "e" like the letter :) There's not a direct translation but you're essentially saying "not ok". They'll get it esp if you're waving them away with your arms too :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove you too :). My co-workers told me something similar 'boo-yah'. Obviously, not spelled correctly ;).
Delete