I am about to embark on the very daunting task of documenting our 2015 Florida vacation :). We had the very best time and I want these memories to be documented for the girls to look at whenever they please ;). Bear with me as I work my way through roughly 2,500 pictures (no, I will not make you look at them all ;)). Posting may be spotty over the next two-ish weeks, but the cuteness will be worth it! Are you convinced? I am ;).
We had a Friday morning wake up call at 3:45 am :). It was glorious. Ok, I am lying. Even though it was early, it wasn't terrible because we were headed out to the happiest place on earth! Disney World!. We had told Emma about a week earlier that we were going to Disney World and that was about a week too soon :). She asked every night if we were going to go to Disney World, or she would inform us that 'she loved going on holiday'. Anyways, the time had finally arrived! My in-laws made it over, Wes had packed up everything, we grabbed the girls (Ev's just had an angry look on her face for the first 15 minutes), loaded up and headed out. After an emergency bathroom break (and asking a gas station to open the doors for us), we got both the girls to sleep and drove smoothly into Louisiana. About 8 or 9, we stopped at McDonald's for breakfast and Emma surprised us (and Everly) with some very nice vacation hugs :).
I label this picture, 'I will squeeze you as hard as I possibly can while you eat your breakfast'.
Before long, we were back in the car and just like that we made it to Mississippi.
Somewhere in Mississippi, we stopped at Chick-Fil-A for a lunch break/ice cream break/playground break to take care of all of our needs. The girls thought it was the appropriate time to start eating their ice cream with a straw #weirdsisters #monkeyseemonkeydo.
After a sketchy breakfast at the aforementioned hotel, we were off. A couple of hours in, we stopped at a Chick-Fil-A (yes, another one!) for some ice coffee and to let the girls play a bit. We couldn't check in until later on in the afternoon, so we were in absolutely no hurry :).
Being good in the car for 20 hours gets you whatever you want, including chocolate milk and unlimited playtime.
Sisters that share chocolate milk together, stay together :). Please don't pay attention to the fact that Emma wanted to wear Everly's shirt (which is size 12 - 18 months!) and Everly wore Emma's shirt :).
How did we pass time in the car? Sending Nonni stickers of course! I spent about 75% of the drive in the backseat next to Emma which seemed to work out really well :).
About 3pm, we checked into our not-so-humble aboad where we would be staying for the next week. Seriously, though it was beautiful, and that is not just comparing it to the Quality Inn. It had four bedrooms (two masters), four bathrooms and a nice big kitchen and living area. Added bonus, it was in a great location only about 20 minutes away from Disney World- our main attraction for the week.
We unpacked, got the girls in their swimsuits and headed out to our resort like pool. There were two pools and a lazy river that connected them and a full slide and hot tub!
After getting back from the swimming pool, we took in our first Florida sunset thanking our lucky stars to be on this adventure with our kiddos :).
Next up, Cocoa Beach!














Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI came across your blog from Julia's blog for the day in the life posts. So i'm just catching up on some of your previous posts and landed on this Disney World one. It totally inspired me to think about bringing my kids there earlier than I had planned! Your girls are adorable!!
Also to add, 8 years ago hubby and I went to Disney World as a celebration of our engagement so we sort of know what to expect, and I don't think Disney World would change much in 8 years right? haha. Of all the theme parks, Epcot was definitely my favorite. I don't remember much about the other ones, especially the Animal Kingdom it was not impressive, even our local zoo is better. Anyways, you mentioned your itinerary to Disney World was a road trip. We're from MA so I can't imagine road tripping there...I will have to do some research on flights, strollers and hotels.
ReplyDeleteYour current stay in China is also helpful in seeing how you guys adapt as we will be making a trip to Vietnam in the near future. I will look back at your archives to see if you blogged about the flight and how it turned out with the girls (yes that's my main concern!).
Hi Sarah! Glad you found us :). We drove about 16 hours and it was not painful at all! Magic Kingdom was definitely my favorite for the girls :) and I think Animal Kingdom had improved quite drastically since the last time I had been. We are taking them back to Hong Kong Disney this summer, so I will definitely share what it is liking taking them at 4 and 3 versus 3 and 1.5. I never talked about the flight to China directly- it was definitely one of the things I was the most worried about too! It was just alright. Parts were better than I thought and parts were worse (for some reason one of them would wake up every 30 minutes or so screaming once they actually fell asleep). I am no expert, but I hope each flight gets easier and easier. I definitely over packed the snacks, but we were thankful for all the snacks once we got to China so I would repeat that part in a heartbeat! If you have any specific questions, just let me know :).
DeleteThanks so much for your response! and offer to answer more of my international flight questions :) I DO have some very specific ones, will post a list later if you don't mind :).
ReplyDeleteby the way, I am wondering if you purposely only allow people with google blogger accounts to comment? I currently have Blogger and Wordpress, and it's driving me nuts that I cannot decide which one to use, but kind of leaning towards Wordpress a little bit more, but sad that I could not comment on your blog if I don't have Blogger. Hope you would consider letting openID option to comment too.
I got a few disturbing comments when I had the comments open to everyone so I decided to change my settings :). Feel free to leave your questions (we took 9 suitcases, two strollers, two car seats and one baby carrier with our 2 and 4 year old through the airport).
Delete1) can we bring milk onto the plane, regardless of domestic or international? And snacks?
Delete2) we might just forgo the stroller for Vietnam but need stroller for Disney world. It's not considered as a carry on right?
3) not flight related. Children under 3 is free to enter Disney parks. Everly was obviously under 3, but would Disney staffs ask for proof? Is fast pass only available if you stay at one of their resorts?
I have more questions but I think my main concern is milk.
I know that you can bring as much breast milk as you want on a domestic flight. I don't know the answer for an international flight or for cow's milk since I have never done those two. Just make sure you have them added to your ticket (it should say something like adult + infant). Your stroller will not count as a carry on- you can either choose to check it at the gate or at the checkin counter and both are free (we have done different things depending on the airport size, but we almost always gate check). nobody asked us for proof of Emma and Everly's age in the US. Since it is more common to carry your passport internationally, I suspect that we will have to prove Ev's age when we go to Hong Kong Disney. We got the fast pass even though we were not staying at their resort. Look around for options (my husband found buy four days get one day free and it included the fast pass) for the parks. Since we were traveling with two littles, we did not do the park hopper option. If we went back when they were bigger, we would definitely do that.
DeleteJust did a google map calc on how many hours it would take us to road trip to Disney World. = 19 h 58 min (1,297 miles). I honestly don't think it will work out for us right now. Little guy HATES sitting in his carseat and would scream bloody murder until we pull over and I'll take him out and nurse him a bit, let him play around the car a bit before putting him back. He'll be cool for maybe 10 mins before getting very fussy again. Then again, not entirely sure if the flight would be any better....but at least it's only 3 hours? haha.
ReplyDelete