Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pumping is not for the faint of heart


Don’t you feel like it is time for an update on how breastfeeding is going?  Ok, I thought so too J.

Despite the title, breastfeeding is going splendidly well.  In fact, I couldn’t be happier this go around.  You may have read about my breastfeeding woes with Emma.  Here is the short story.  When I went back to work, my supply tanked.  In addition, Emma no longer wanted to nurse at night (she preferred a bottle).  That combination led me to have to give her formula when she was 7.5 months.  This was devastating to me as a new mom.  There were so many tears.  Of course, we all lived and are probably stronger from the experience. 

Well, I was determined not to let that happen this go around with Everly (even though in the back my mind, I knew each child is different in their needs and wants). 

I was not going to let myself fail.  I was not going to let myself fall shy of a year breastfeeding Everly.

This go around I had a plan of attack.  I fed Everly on demand during maternity leave (which sometimes meant every 30 – 45 minutes).  I pumped all of the time when I was on maternity leave to build up a freezer stash.  I started drinking mother’s milk tea as soon as I started work- I drink four bags of that stuff a day to keep my supply up.  Almost six months in, I can still pump 20 – 25 ounces a day.  We have not had to go into our freezer stash (probably much to my parent’s dismay since all of the milk is in their extra freezer!). 

I really think I owe my success to drinking Mother’s Milk tea plus dedicated pumping.  I pump three times a day while at work.  And let me tell you, pumping is not for the faint of heart.  Pumping is incredibly hard work.  It takes me half an hour three times a day (out of my work schedule).  Just like with Emma, I have already come to despise my pump.  But I do it.  I do it because I know it’s what’s best for Everly.  I do it because it makes me blissfully happy.  I do it because the sigh of relief on her face when she latches on is priceless. I do it because I love to see the milk drunk look in her eyes after a good nursing session.  I do it because it helped me lose the baby weight (#honesty).  I do it because it allows me to bond with my baby even while I am at work.  I do it because the benefits of breastfeeding far outweigh the 1.5 hours a day it takes me to pump.  I do it because it's how she falls asleep at night.  I do it because I love Everly to the  moon and back. 

I can’t wait to see what the next six months of breastfeeding has in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment