Thursday, September 20, 2012

It Happened


The day has come.  Emma will have her first taste of formula today.

Part of me is devastated.  Part of me is sad.  Part of me feels like a failure. 

I just can’t produce enough milk for my baby.  I feel like I have tried almost everything.  I drink 3 – 4 cups of Mother’s Milk tea a day.  I take Fenugreek.  I drink tons of water.  I even try to eat oatmeal in the morning.  But I still can’t get more than 15 – 18 ounces while I am at work. 

I know I could wake up in the middle of the night and pump.  I just don’t have that in me.  I am tired and worn out from working all day and the last thing I want to do is wake up to pump.  Especially when I loathe pumping.

I know my baby girl will survive.  I know she will thrive. 

A little part of me feels like I have given up.  

But a bigger part of me feels pretty proud of myself that for the last 7 months, she has had nothing to drink other than my milk.  

(For those wondering, I am definitely not planning on giving up breastfeeding- I just think Emma will have to start taking one bottle per day of formula to supplement)

No comments:

Post a Comment